Thursday, October 29, 2009

MLB

So I have started this blog and most of my post have been football related with the baseball playoffs going on. Its not that I dislike baseball but it just isnt nearly as appealing any more. A little background on me and my love affair with baseball. I am and always will be a lifelong Cardinal fan. So this isn't about me and their lackluster playoff showing this year (another post will talk about that and the McGwire addition). This is more about how baseball's salary cap,steriod use and slow pace has not only worn on me but a lot of fans.

Of the 8 teams in this years playoff, 5 of the teams had the highest payrolls in baseball. Mid-market teams don't have a chance to keep their great homegrown talents because of the lack of revenue sharing. The Cleveland Indians and their fans had to be absolutely sick watching Game 1. CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee, two dominant left-handed starters were pitching in the series, while the Indians are suffering through another rebuilding mode. Mid-market teams just don;t have a lot of hope and baseball should do something about that.














The steriod use in the game has been beaten to death. Here are my feelings about it. Baseball is predicated all on numbers. So players, manager, owners cheated the system and the record books to draw in popularity and to bring in tv revenue. After the strike in 95, football has replaced baseball as the national pasttime. Baseball solved the problem by allowing its players to use illegal substances so people would pay attention again. It worked for a while but I think a lot of fans are turned off by the sport now because they don't know what to believe anymore. The innocence of the game is lost and I don't know if it can be found again.


I am rooting for the Phillies simply because the Yankees payroll is ridiculous. The Yankees feel like why draft well and build a team, when you can buy one. And for all those Cardinal fans who hope that they will resign Matt Holliday, know this. Holliday will either be a Yankee or an Angel because that is where the money is. Boras or the union will not allow him to take less money. So again, the rich will only get richer.

1 comment:

  1. As an Indians fan it makes me sick to see that they've basically become a farm team. There is no way that a team with a payroll of 60-75 million can compete with one having a payroll of 250 million. Baseball(and the shell of a commissioner Selig)needs to wake up and level the playng field. A salary cap and a salary floor are needed.

    ReplyDelete