Thursday, March 4, 2010

Youth Being Served


Can't Beat Father Time

I celebrated my 32nd birthday last week. I can deal with the fact that I am a year older. When I workout the bones ache a little longer than I remember, but all in all I feel pretty good about being in my 30's. Its a little different when it comes to sports. 30 means you are on the downside of your career. You get benched, released and in some cases your career is over. Turning 32 made me reminisce about some players I have grown up with and how their games have changed.

No More High Flyers

Kobe Bryant has been in the league for 14 years. Its amazing longevity and speaks to the way he keeps his body in shape. I was talking to a friend and I said Kobe just doesn't look the same. He quickly pointed out to me that Kobe now has the old man game. Post-up and jumpers from the block, no more does Kobe explode to the rim and finish with authority. At least he doesn't do it with the same regularity that he did when he first came into the league. Coming into the league and playing professional basketball for 14 years wears your body down. Kobe was recently asked when was the last time he felt 100% and his answer was when he was 17. Kobe has had four knee surgeries to go along with numerous other ailments has caused the once high-flyer to be grounded. But that's what happen when reach the magic number of 30, you lose a step.


Bryant isn't the only one whose game has changed. Kevin Garnett used to be the Big Ticket. I remember the fantastic dunks, incredible blocks among his other jaw- dropping plays. Now he is a shell of the guy we used to know. The amount of games Garnett has played has now sapped the one of more electric stars of his abilities. Bryant, Garnett, Vince Carter, Tim Duncan are all guys I grew up watching. We are all around the same age and while I am just starting my career, these guys are beginning their decline of theirs.

Its not just basketball where you see this happen. Football really shows how old guys are. LT, Brett Favre, Ray Lewis are guys who are trying to beat father time. One of the advantages that happens in sports is that when you get older, you use your brain to take advantage of the younger players. The brains these players have can add a few extra years but the sheer physicality of games eventually wears them down.

Appreciate The Youth


Watching Jordan growing up, I didn't fully appreciate how great he was. I just enjoyed watching him play and seeing him and the Bulls collecting titles. As a teen, I didn't see his drive, dedication and determation he had to will his team to victories. I'm not going to make that same mistake twice. The Nike slogan for LeBron James is dead on. "We Are All Witnesses." There will never be another player like James, with his size, speed, and quickness. Its like watching Karl Malone, Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson rolled into one. He along with Rajon Rondo, Kevin Durant (who is a taller, thin version or Bernard King) Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony are the future of the NBA. Appreciate how great these guys are before they hit their 30's.

Now where did I put the Ben-Gay.....?

No comments:

Post a Comment