Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A New Sports Verb

Before you read the definition I really do like the University of Missouri. I would have gone to their journalism school but the university I went to offered a better scholarship. But if you have a team or school you love they have all done something that just makes you scream, I now have a word that helps describe it better. How I came up with the word is pretty simple. I was sitting with some of my buddies Sam and Chris, watching a pretty decent Mizzou football team take on K-State. Mizzou was a way better team and should have dominated, when it seemed like the coaching staff pulled the rug out from under their own team by calling off the wall plays. Of course, K-State came back and won and as I just said I can't believe they lost that game, they totally Mizzoued themselves out a win.

Mizzoued-Pronunciation: /Mizz-oued/ or /Mizz-ou/ Function: verb Definition:when one's team makes a critical error, or something inexplicable happens in a big game they are going to win. Most of the time a player or a coach does something that blows one's mind, that one cannot believe it happened. An agonizing moment that will live in sports history. Sentence: "They mizzoued themselves again." or " How could the Bulls mizzou themselves out of a win against the Kings?". Example: University of Missouri football and basketball teams, The 1985 St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs since 1908, Florida St. football versus Miami, 1996 St. Louis Cardinals blowing a 3-1 lead to the Braves, 2004 Yankees blowing a 3-1 lead against the Red Sox, Jean van de Velde at the British Open.

So when your team has one of the above mentioned moments, instead of swearing, now you have a word to fill in that blank: Mizzoued. Here are some clips of teams mizzouing themselves, enjoy! And if you have any other suggestions let me know.









1 comment:

  1. Ouch! As an alumni I can't deny this, I can only shake my head at Mizzou's utter futility most years in most sports. (Though, in fairness, we do rise to the top of the football ranks every 40 years just to shock the world.) Only 38 more years to go.

    ReplyDelete