Tuesday, September 6, 2011

2 Point Conversion

With the college football season already upon I am offering up a new weekly posting called the "2 Point Conversion". This segment will feature me going head to head with a former college football player and roommate of mine. I hope you will enjoy it!!

1.The SEC has won the last 5 BCS championships, what other conference will you watch this year?


Droddy: I think we all can agree you are watching a different football world when you tune into a top SEC showdown – I'm not sure how anyone can really debate this at the moment. With that said, I think there is intrigue in every conference out there on any given Saturday – here are some items I will keep an eye on and my bold prediction:

B10-Droddy: How will NE look this year with a new schedule in front of them? I think the winner of NE and WI takes the conference this year. Is Ohio St going to finish as a top 2 team? Nope.

Momo: I think this is Wisconsin's year to compete for a National Title. We can both agree that Ohio St. is in a lot of trouble this year. I don't even think their starting quarterback will stay the same.

ACC-Droddy: Is FSU really “back”? I think they will play for the conference championship this year again, but they will not at the top of the college football world…just yet.

Momo: Another topic we are agreeing on. Florida St. is probably a yer away from being a true national power again. The sleeper to watch is Va Tech.

PAC10/12Droddy:Is Oregon really going to run through the PAC12 again? After Saturday (men vs boys) I have some doubts. How is Utah going to do in the conference? I think they hold their own (3 to 5 losses), but days of winning them all and only showing up to compete at a high level about twice a year are OVER.

Momo: Oregon dismal performance on Saturday notwithstanding, I think the conference is in good position to send another representative to play for the title and that is Stanford. This is the year that Stanford was shooting for, a Heisman contender at quarterback, and a deep roster. This is the year of the Cardinal.

Big EastDroddy: Ill never have too many questions or interest for this league, but will be interested to see a new coach at West Virginia. They have a good experienced QB who could make them great ….at times.
Momo: I still can't believe this league gets an automatic BCS game. This is a basketball league. Football in this conference is not that great. West Virginia will be all right. There qb Geno Smith is a dark horse for the Heisman.


Big12Droddy:Most of the interest there is off the field, obviously – love to see someone challenge Oklahoma…they will have a couple of close games, but I’m not sure who just yet – Baylor could match them in scoring. Can TX be that bad again..surely not, right?
Momo: The wonderful conference that is crumbling right before our eyes. OU is the class and the pundits have Mizzou as the sleeper. The Tigers are befuddling, now they have a solid team at all positions except a quarterback who can't throw. Oklahoma St could be the team that stuns everyone and wins the conference..

2. Which university recovers faster from the scandal, USC, Ohio St, or Miami?
Droddy:Recovery is inevitable at all these schools so I’m going to go with the one that knows their penalties and have already started the punishment – USC.

Momo:I think the "U" is in some serious trouble. Ohio St. recovery will be a lot faster than USC because I don't believe the NCAA will come down that hard on them. Plus OSU only has to contend with Michigan in the recruiting battle in the conference.
3. Good idea for Texas A&M to move to the SEC?

Droddy:Great idea for TX A&M. Obviously this assumes they are fine with being the 4th to 6th best program in the conference for any given year. This is very similar to where they are now, but will make more money and will not be annually behind their most bitter rival – TX. You don’t get better by jumping up in competition in the short term – in the long term, I will assume they will improve their: recruiting, facilities and coaching to be able to compete in the SEC year in and out.

Momo: This is a terrible move for A&M. First of all, they have forgotten that it was Texas that stood up for them when the Southwestern Conference folded to get them into the Big 12. I understand that you are upset that the conference has catered to Texas but to move to the SEC, where you will not be able to compete on a national level will be disastrous. A&M will regret running to the SEC and not going to the Pac-12 first.
4. Your surprise team this year is…

Droddy:I know this may not strike anyone as a surprise team, but I think Stanford will be right there for the conference championship. They have Luck obviously, but I think more importantly…everyone playing this year was coached by Harbaugh.
Momo: I hinted at this earlier but I think Oklahoma St. will surprise people and sneak into a BCS bowl. I love their quarterback and wide receiver Justin Blackmon, who may be the second best player in college football.
5. Your Heisman favorite…

Droddy:First of all…I have come to hate the Heisman. Its probably ESPN’s fault for handing it to someone new every week of the season, but I will play along – Andew Luck

Momo: I agree with the ESPN statement. Its like they just don't want to be wrong. But I think Luck is the clubhouse leader and my dark horse is Baylor's Robert Griffith III. If he gets Baylor i the top 10 its his award to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment