Wednesday, September 7, 2011

End Zone (Week 1)


With kickoff of the NFL season starting tonight, it’s time to get for us to get reacquainted in the End zone. This is where we talk about some of the burning questions in the National Football League:

1.I feel like we had this question last year but here it is anyway, who’s seat is hotter this season, Norv Turner or Gary Kubiak?
Momo:
Both seats are really warm, but I feel like if the Chargers don’t make at least the AFC Championship game then Norv is done. What’s really going to hurt them is the loss of Darren Sproles. That is going to damage their special teams as well as hurt rivers on third down. If the Texans make the playoffs, which they should, Kubiak will be fine.

kdc: Full disclosure: I’ve never been a Turner fan, but the mediocre job he’s done w/the Chargers has only cemented that dislike. These Chargers have been extremely talented with nothing to show for it. Maybe this year will be different, but San Diego’s decision-makers don’t seem eager for change, so he could be around next year even if they just make the playoffs. Kubiak has only continued the Texans losing ways, so . . .does it matter?

2.Troy Aikman recently said that if this group of Cowboys don’t win a championship, then the team should rebuild. Agree?
Momo:
I agree completely. The Cowboys are the most over hyped team in the NFL and this year they have to contend with the Eagles stealing all of their press. The key to their season will be Tony Romo. I don’t think he can lead this team to the Super Bowl. Their defense will be better but it won’t be enough

kdc: No heart. No locker room leaders. No playoffs.

3.From last year’s playoff teams, who’s more likely not to reach the playoffs?
Momo:
One is real easy and that’s the Seahawks. Signing Tavaris Jackson was an awful move for this year. He wasn’t a good qb for the Vikings and won’t be for the Seahawks. I think Pete Carroll is waiting for the Bengals to dump Carson Palmer. Not sold on the Bears or Chiefs at all. I know the Chiefs will take a huge step back.

kdc: The post-Steel Curtain Steelers have never returned to the playoffs the year after they went to the Super Bowl. They’re the oldest starting team in the NFL. The Packers exposed their weaknesses & I see other teams trying to do likewise. I also don’t think the Falcons helped themselves much in the offseason & maybe not quite making it this year. It’s like no one wants to talk about it, but they needed help on the defensive side & then only helped their offense. I also think the Patriots are probably in more serious decline than most people realize, but they’ll probably make it in as a wild-card.

4.There are at least two teams to make the playoffs who didn’t make it in last year. Who you got?
Momo:
The Rams and Lions. Look for Sam Bradford to take the next step. Also my sleeper rookie of the year pick is Rams TE Lance Kendricks. I love hybrid TE and WR and this kid has size and speed. Hopefully Matthew Stafford stays healthy because if he does the Lions with their defense will be really good. Love Suh and when Nick Fairley gets back their front four will be virtually unblockable.

kdc: You took 2 good ones. I’ll go with the young, hungry (& now seasoned) Buccaneers, who should’ve made it last year, & the Chargers will as well, but I don’t know how far.

5.Go out on a limb and make your Super Bowl Picks.
Momo:
Normally I don’t do this but to have this on record I will say the Ravens and the Packers. I think for the first time since the Patriots have repeated as champions, the Packers will do the same. I think the lockout helped the Packers a lot. They didn’t have coaches leaving, get a lot of their injured players back and they didn’t have a lot of the distractions this offseason. Teams who didn’t make a lot of changes will benefit and the Packers are one of them.

kdc: I’ve been a Packer-backer my entire life, so there’s no way I can go against a team that took on unsustainable injuries all the way through the Super Bowl game (Woodson & Driver, their vets & leaders) & still won. On the AFC side I’m gonna go against good taste & my own proclivities & pick the Jets to lose to the Packers in the Super Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment